[wisb] Re: where have all the Cuckoos gone?

There are lots of them at Baxter's Hollow - I heard at least three YB
and saw a BB there last Friday.  They are most likely feeding
fledglings, hence more quiet and unobtrusive right now.  The
Black-billed I saw was carrying a caterpillar and flew to different
locations at least twice with it, before finally eating it itself.  That
indicated to me that it was reluctant to give a nest or fledgling
location away.

In general, I have seen or heard more Cuckoos of both species this year
than any two recent years I can recall, particularly in the southwest
third or so of Wisconsin.

Peter Fissel
Madison WI