[wisb] Re: suggestions for Bay Area birding

  • From: "Seegert, Greg" <gseegert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pgorman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pgorman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 14:08:09 -0400

Peter

First decide what you want to see, e.g., mainly shorebirds, inland
specialties,etc.  That will determine the general area you want to head.  Pt
Reyes is quite a ways from Palo Alto.  Depending on traffic it could take 2 hr
to get there.  Personally, I think it is somewhat over-rated for VISITING
birders.  The locals love it because they can go when conditions are right
(which they usually aren't) and it is a great migrant trap (especially for
eastern warblers, which CA birders go crazy over).  If you want rocky
shorebirds there are several great places much closer than Pt Reyes,
specifically either Pillar Pt by Half Moon Bay or Pescadaro Marsh and Pt.  Like
Chris mentioned, Pt Lobos is good but it is a hike too.  If you want inland
birds, the Mines Road trip that begins in Livermore is good for YB magpie, oak
titmouse, Larry's goldfinch, pretty good for Nuttall's woodpecker, CA thrasher,
CA quail, wrentit, and once in a while you'll find Lewis's woodpecker.
Anywhere you find flocks of white-crowned sparrows you should be able to find
golden-crowned also.  Butano SP, which is pretty close to Palo Alto is full of
CB chickadees.

Greg Seegert
Who will be in CA from 9-15 October