[wisb] results of first Forest Beach Migratory Preserve Hawkwatch

  • From: "William Mueller" <iltlawas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 18:37:37 -0500

Thanks to the following folks who joined us today at Forest Beach Migratory
Preserve in Ozaukee County, and helped identify and count birds, (raptors
as well as other spp.):

Owen Boyle
Tom Schaefer
Dennis Kuecherer
Joan Sommer
Marlyn Winter
Marilyn Bontly
Peter Fissel
Diane TenPas
Karen Morris
Kathy English
Vic Berardi and his wife (I apologize to have forgotten her name)

All told, we had approx. 30 people show up at one time or another today. It
became a little warmer than optimum, and in the afternoon the wind shifted
a bit too much out of the south. No matter; it was very worthwhile for the
first attempt at this location. Here's our list:

Double-crested Cormorant 5
Great Blue Heron 1
Turkey Vulture 10
Canada Goose 229
Wood Duck 3
Bald Eagle 1
Northern Harrier 2
Sharp-shinned Hawk 18
Cooper's Hawk 4
Broad-winged Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 14
Merlin 4
Peregrine Falcon 4
Killdeer 6
Ring-billed Gull 16
Herring Gull 4
Chimney Swift 2
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-headed Woodpecker 1 (thanks to Tom S.)
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 2
Northern Flicker 28
Eastern Phoebe 3
Blue Jay 67
American Crow 4
Horned Lark 1
Tree Swallow 15
Barn Swallow 18
Black-capped Chickadee 1
Eastern Bluebird 6
Swainson's Thrush 4
American Robin 41
European Starling 18
Cedar Waxwing 28
Yellow-rumped Warbler 2
Palm Warbler 1
unidentified warbler 15
White-throated Sparrow 2
White-crowned Saprrow 7
Lapland Longspur 4
Bobolink 10
Red-winged Blackbird 44
Eastern Meadowlark 1
Purple Finch 24
House Finch 3
American Goldfinch 6

VERY nice looks at the Merlins and Peregrines - some came in very close.

William P. Mueller
(414) 698-9108
E-mail: iltlawas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
On the web: http://home.earthlink.net/~iltlawas/