[wisb] Re: bird predictions

  • From: <rcd2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, gseegert@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 7:35:17 -0400

I would like to second what Greg wrote.  I woke before dawn yesterday all
excited about seeing huge numbers of birds.  I birded in some of the best
places around for nearly the entire day.  My total for warblers was --
Yellow - 3
Yellow-rumped - 1
N. Waterthrush - 1
C. Yellowthroat - 1
Add to that there was not a single Ruby-crowned Kinglet to be seen.  The day
before I had them in huge numbers.  My total of White-throated Sparrows was 2
(compared to dozens the day before), with no other migrant sparrows to be seen.
 I walked a wood edge (on the lee side of the wind) for over a mile in a place
where I nearly always find birds.  My total was one Blue Jay, which flew away
the instant it saw me.  For this time of year, it was perhaps the worst day of
birding I have ever experience.
   -- Bob Domagalski (from usually birdy St. Nazianz)