[wisb] Yellowstone Lake S.P.- Lafayette Co. - Saturday AM

  • From: Aaron Holschbach <aholschbach@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wis Birdnet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 13:16:23 -0500

This morning I spent 3+ hours birding Yellowstone Lake State Park.  I
was not able to find the Red-necked Phalaropes that John Romano had
reported recently, but there were still several species of shorebirds
present:

Killdeer - 14
Spotted Sandpiper - 4
Solitary Sandpiper - 5
Lesser Yellowlegs - 10
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 2
Least Sandpiper - 14
Pectoral Sandpiper - 6
Stilt Sandpiper - 1

The best birds that I saw at Yellowstone this morning were a
WHITE-EYED VIREO which was singing (in the open giving great looks)
just west of the park office, and a rather late LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH
that was present along Oak Grove Trail.  Overall, the number of
warblers were quite good throughout the park this morning and I was
able to record 15 warbler species.  Definitely the best warbler flocks
that I have seen so far this fall migration, including:

Blue-winged Warbler - 4
Golden-winged Warbler - 1
Tennessee Warbler - 38
Chestnut-sided Warbler - 8
Magnolia Warbler - 16
Cape May Warbler - 1
Black-throated Green Warbler - 1
Blackburnian Warbler - 4
Black-and-white Warbler - 10
American Redstart - 15
Ovenbird - 1
Louisiana Waterthrush - 1
Common Yellowthroat - 17
Wilson's Warbler - 1
Canada Warbler - 2

I ended up with 79 species in the park and a total of 87 species for
Lafayette County this morning.

Aaron Holschbach
Arena
Iowa County