[wisb] Wyalusing State Park

Merry Christmas folks!

...and Merry it was! My wife had to work at 6 AM today so I decided to
take the dog for a walk at Wyalusing State Park. We went to the south
loop because it is usually blocked with snow this time of year and I
wanted to know what could be back there in those large pine stands. We
(the dog and I) started making our way through the thick pines hearing
and seeing lots of Chickadee's and dozens of Red-breasted Nuthatches.
One of the highlights was when I started pishing and a flock of
Dark-eyed Junco's came in pretty close. I started walking away
thinking I had seen all the birds and then 2 FOX SPARROW's flushed,
yes! I continued walking through the pines and came across a small
group of American Goldfinches and a dozen PINE SISKEN's. I was then
completly surprised when I heard RED CROSSBILLS in the distance!!!
Sure enough, 30 of them landed in the tree's directly above me! What a
christmas gift....Red Crossbills in Grant county! A new state and
county bird for myself.

I soon had my fill of the finches and made my way out of the pine
stands. It was perfectly timed because there were 8 Bald Eagles
circling above me and a 2nd year GOLDEN EAGLE! Another great christmas
gift!!

Leaving the park I saw 20 American Goldfinches and 2 PURPLE FINCHES.
Four species of finches at Wyalusing sure isn't too bad....

Merry Christmas!!!
Alex Stark, Prairie du Chien