[wisb] Re: Woodcock Nest Site Hatch or Eaten?

  • From: "Mark and Sue Martin" <goosep@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <plbillings@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 06:28:24 -0600

Hi
It is important to keep away from nests since flushing hens off nests and
walking up to nests can lead to increase nest predation.   Raccoons
sometimes follow human trails looking for a meal.   I also believe turkey
hens sometimes abandon after they are flushed off a nest.  It is my
understanding that some magazines will not publish photos of nests with
eggs.

Mark Martin
Arlington