[wisb] Western Grebes at Trempealeau Nat. Refuge

  • From: "Terry & Marty Evanson" <tevanson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'wisbirdn'" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 21:12:48 -0500

At about 1 PM today my wife and I observed TEN Western Grebes in Trempealeau
National Wildlife Refuge in Trempealeau County. The birds were seen south of
the Kiep's Island Dike trail, about a half mile walk from the Dike Road
parking lot. We took some grainy pictures through my scope with a point and
shoot camera. The area is a hunt free area so we enjoyed 14 other species of
waterfowl as well. Ruddy Ducks, Pied-billed Grebes and Lesser Scaup were
also in the immediate area to help with size comparisons. At the
headquarters overlook we also observed 2 adult and 2 juvenile Franklin's
Gulls. I'm guessing the winds of the last few days brought these western
species in to our state.

Marty Evanson

Madison