[wisb] Re: Waukesha, off topic, Blanding's Turtle

  • From: Jon Zellmer <zellmerjon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jstuckert4@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 00:21:15 -0700 (PDT)

I thought it appropriate to respond to this Blanding's turtle topic through WI
Birding Network since birding is more than just looking at birds and message
originated on WIBIRDN - hopefully a helpful comment?  If not appropriate
for WIBIRDN skip on to next message :-).

Hi John,
I just saw your email about the Blanding's turtle on highway.  Probably a
female
searching for nesting site (females have a flat bottom/belly and males have
a concave bottom/belly)?  You probably let her go already, but if not best
action would be find safe/ideal nesting area near where you found Blanding's
turtle - especially since its a threatened species in WI.  Female Blanding's
turtle usually lay eggs from June - July.

I protected a couple Blanding's turtle nest tonight with hardware cloth 2'X2'
centered/fastened to protect nest from raccoon, skunk etc..  Renewed my permit
again this year with WI DNR-Bureau of Endangered Resources, so that I can
legally work with Blanding's turtles.

One Blanding's turtle from population that I'm working with turned up at
Milwaukee Museum (according to Bob Hay retired DNR-BER) because people didn't
know what to do with Blanding's turtle after they picked it up off road - it
did
lay eggs shortly after its trip to Milwaukee Museum.

I hope this info is helpful for people and Blanding's turtles :-).

Jon