[wisb] Warbler Quiz - RESULTS

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 20:20:00 -0600

QUICK RESULTS:

#1 = Yellow Warbler
#2 = American Redstart
#3 = Cape May Warbler
Bonus = probable Blackpoll Warbler

------------------------------
DETAILS:

Each photo was viewed ~350 times and I received 27 responses overall.  Below
you'll find a summary of responses with brief reasoning for the identifications
from myself and some of the respondents.  Feel free to backchannel me for more
info.

BIRD #1 = YELLOW WARBLER
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady/image/117274752

Yellow Warbler = 9 responses
Nashville = 4
Pine = 3
Connecticut = 3
Magnolia = 2
Blackburnian = 1
Bay-breasted = 1
Mourning = 1
Chestnut-sided = 1

Tough one, eh?  I think the drab coloration and eye ring threw people off.  Two
other birders provided some nice explanations copied below.

Birder A - "The bill shape directed me away from it being any vermivora
warbler, giving more of an impression of dendroica shape.  The only warbler I
know of that is this pale yellow and has dark tertials with pale edges is a
Yellow Warbler.  Young birds can have a slight eye ring.  Northern group?"

Birder B - "Olive to yellowish warbler overall especially yellow in rectrices
and covert feather edges. Dull greenish head with indistinct cap and
otherwise obscure markings with the exception of complete narrow eye
ring and dull whitish tertial edges. Seemingly plain light face. Feet
dull yellowish appearing. Bill dark with a fleshy edge along opening.
The rather whitish eye ring (could be dull yellow) -- northern
subspecies first fall female Yellow Warbler."

I agree with their assessments of the possible northern subspecies
(amnicola-type?) based not only on plumage but timing.  I took this photo on
Sept 12, which is very late for our "eastern" subspecies of Yellow Warbler that
breeds here (aestiva-type?).  In my neck of the woods, most if not all seem to
be long gone by the end of August.

Here's a slightly different view of this individual.  Note the yellow on the
underside of the tail feathers (not just the coverts), which further clinches
the ID to this species:
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady/image/117410235

------------------------------
BIRD #2 = AMERICAN REDSTART
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady/image/117274750

American Redstart = 25 responses
Mourning Warbler = 1
Yellow-rumped = 1

This one didn't yield any problems for most folks so I won't go into detail
here.  The reduced (lack?) of yellow at the base of the flight feathers may
indicate a hatch-year female.

------------------------------
BIRD #3 = CAPE MAY WARBLER
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady/image/117274748

Cape May Warbler = 21 responses
Palm = 4
Yellow-rumped = 1
Pine = 1

Lighting was tricky on this one but most folks recognized the sharp dark bill,
heavy dark breast streaking on a pale yellow-washed breast, and slight yellow
tinge posterior to and thus framing the grayish auricular (cheek).  The drab
plumage suggests female while the broad dark streaking may indicate an adult.
Hard to say for sure though.

------------------------------
BONUS BIRD = BLACKPOLL WARBLER (probably)
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady/image/117274743

Blackpoll Warbler = 9 responses
Bay-breasted = 7
Pine = 5
Magnolia = 3
Torpedo Warbler = 1

I need more practice photographing flyover warblers but sometimes I get
identifiable shots.  This one probably can't be confirmed to species but it's
certainly either Blackpoll or Bay-breasted.  Pine can be eliminated because, in
part, the color below is more greenish-yellow than yellow and extends well down
onto the lower belly, almost reaching the undertail coverts.  More importantly,
the pictured bird is relatively short-tailed and Pine is distinctly
longer-tailed with a long tail projection past the coverts.  I vote for
Blackpoll based on the strongly contrasting white-ish undertail coverts and
lack of warm buff coloration anywhere on the underparts, although admittedly
the photo isn't sharp and the early morning lighting could affect
interpretation.  But if we can all agree it's at least a "Baypoll" Warbler,
then that's pretty good for a flyover!

Thanks again for participating.

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI