[wisb] Wangsness Road

  • From: Andy P <andypaulios@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 12:55:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Folks,

Mark M. hasn't weighed in yet but my second-hand conversations with DNR and
USFWS lead me to believe that it's a property that has been pursued for
conservation (NRCS - WRP or WPA, etc.) but the landowner wants to continue
farming it despite the apparent difficulties in high-water periods.

It's amazing to me with corn below $4 bushel that one could pump a large
wetland annually (cost of diesel anyone?) and still hope to make money.

The high water table that we have now makes you appreciate how many wetlands
we've lost/changed in the last 100 years and how many wetland birds there
probably used to be.  All the more reason to purchase your federal and state
waterfowl stamp and donate to organizations that restore/protect wetlands and
the birds they support (shameless conservation plug).

Olin Park was birdy and buggy for 30 min this morning.  Blackburnian,
Nashville, Tennessee, Blackpoll, Redstart, Common Yellowthroat, Magnolia and my
first Least Flycatchers of the Fall.

Andy Paulios
Madison, WI