[wisb] WT Sparrow, House Wren & more in La Crosse; plus Vesper Sparrow & more while commuting

This past Wednesday, I got out and did some morning birding within the
Myrick Marsh (in La Crosse). It was a gorgeous morning to be out, and
although a "relatively quiet" morning, more birds seem to be pushing
through as the spring progresses (from what I've noticed during my few
visits to the marsh). If you're traveling through the La Crosse area, I
highly recommend Myrick Marsh. The mixing of habitat and overall
peacefulness of the area is great. Below is my eBird list from that morning
of birdwatching for about an hour.
Canada Goose  6
Wood Duck  10
Gadwall  3
American Wigeon  4
Mallard  11
Blue-winged Teal  14
Northern Shoveler  10
Green-winged Teal  2
Hooded Merganser  4
Pied-billed Grebe  3
Great Blue Heron  3
Turkey Vulture  1
Bald Eagle  1
Northern Harrier  1
Sandhill Crane  2
Killdeer  2
Ring-billed Gull  1
Mourning Dove  2
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern Phoebe  3
Blue Jay  2
American Crow  2
Tree Swallow  7
Black-capped Chickadee  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  3
Hermit Thrush  1
American Robin  5
European Starling  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler  4
Song Sparrow  5
Northern Cardinal  4
Red-winged Blackbird  15
Common Grackle  17
House Finch  2
American Goldfinch  4
House Sparrow  2

After Myrick Marsh, I walked over to the bluffs of Hixon Forest, and had
some fun finds; including my first-of-the-year WHITE-THROATED SPARROW and
HOUSE WREN an early-morning migrating Sharp-shinned Hawk, seven Tufted
Titmice, 8 Butterbutts (Yellow-rumped Warblers), and many other beautiful
sightings. Below is my eBird list from that morning.

Hixon Forest (woodlands/bluffs, eastern edge of La Crosse)
Turkey Vulture  2
Sharp-shinned Hawk  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Downy Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  6
Northern Flicker  1
Eastern Phoebe  6
Blue Jay  3
American Crow  1
Black-capped Chickadee  10
Tufted Titmouse  7 (so many of them!!)
House Wren  1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  4
Hermit Thrush  5
American Robin  10
Yellow-rumped Warbler  8
Song Sparrow  4
White-throated Sparrow  1
Northern Cardinal  7
American Goldfinch  5

I left La Crosse very early Thursday morning to head back up to Duluth, and
after traveling about 1.5 hours north of La Crosse, sunrise took place.
Below is my list of birds observed on the drive up, with the "highlight"
species being a VESPER SPARROW heard from the edge of Eau Claire, while
gassing up my vehicle. For what it is worth, the bird was heard from the
Holiday gas station with the large Leinie's chair in front. It is exciting
to hear and see new birds moving through!

Red-tailed Hawk  6
Turkey Vulture  6
Bald Eagle  3
American Kestrel  1
Yellowlegs  2 (while driving through a small town with a road-side pond)
Northern Flicker  1
Eastern Phoebe  2
Meadowlark  1

Many pictures to come from my visit. After being on-the-road for nearly a
week, I will be able to get them done soon. Enjoy the interesting weather
that lies ahead over the next few days... birds could really be moving
through!

Good birding,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

--
*NATURALLY AVIAN* - Guided Birdwatching Trips and Bird photography
www.pbase.com/birdfedr