[wisb] WSO Green Bay field trip report from Sunday

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "WISBIRDN" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 20:43:37 -0500

Yesterday morning about 30 birders met by (or before) 8:00 at the Bay Beach
Wildlife Sanctuary in Green Bay -- including our hosts, Ty and Ida Baumann.
The weather was perfect, with very little wind and temperatures in the 60s
and 70s.  Unfortunately, with the stable weather pattern we've been in,
there were no cold fronts to bring a big push of migrants, but the birding
was still fairly decent.

Since the trees near the corner opening that is full of jewelweed had been
the most active in recent days, we decided to start there.  Besides frequent
appearances by Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Cedar Waxwings, American Goldfinches
and Northern Flickers, there were several warblers in the area.  Most
frequent was the Tennessee, but we also had a few others such as Blackpoll,
Bay-breasted, Black-and-white, Blackburnian, and Magnolia.  Several
Ruby-throated Hummingbirds were spotted, as well as Gray Catbirds, Red-eyed
Vireos, and a Great-crested Flycatcher, and Eastern Wood-Pewees and Warbling
Vireos were actively singing.  One Philadelphia Vireo was spotted, and a
Cooper's Hawk created some excitement when it flew in and perched briefly.

Ducks on the nearby lagoons included Wood, American Wigeon, American Black,
Blue-winged and Green-winged Teal, a Northern Pintail, and a few Redheads --
as well as Mallards and Canada Geese.  Herons present were Great Blue, Great
Egret, Green and Black-crowned Night-Heron, as was a Belted Kingfisher or
two.  The Baumanns gave us a brief tour of their lovely home (and a look at
their bird feeders, where we added an oriole), and we headed to the indoor
observation area (where some of the rehab birds are housed) to view one of
the lagoons.

After a walk to the area near the Nature Center, we stopped at a spot where
a bunch of birds (including a Swainson's Thrush) had been mobbing near a
bird box, and by their activities we assumed that an Eastern Screech-Owl
must've been inside.  While we were there, a movement up the some nearby
leaves caught our eye, and after a few minutes of searching we had great
looks at aYellow-billed Cuckoo!

A return visit to the jewelweed patch produced a few more warblers,
including a Canada and a Northern Parula.  We wrapped up the field trip
about 11:00 AM, with a total of 71 species for the morning -- which we
didn't think was too bad, considering the stagnant weather pattern.

Tom Schultz
WSO Field Trips co-chair
Green Lake, WI