[wisb] WSO Field Trip report - White River Marsh

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 09:02:56 -0500

White River Marsh -- WSO field trip report
Green Lake County, May 1, 2010

As Daryl Tessen alluded in his post last evening, our WSO field trip had a
spectacular morning yesterday at the White River Marsh in Green Lake County.
A large moon hung over the dim southern sky as we began gathering at 5:00 AM
along the Rustic Road, and bird sounds filled the air.  The sky was mostly
clear, and the temperature was definitely on the balmy side - around 55
degrees, which was probably about 30 higher than our typical starting
temperature!  At this point, the winds were still relatively light, although
they became much stronger by late morning.  In various places across the
marsh, Wilson's Snipe were winnowing, American Woodcock were peenting and
doing flight displays, cranes and rails were calling, American Bitterns were
pumping, and Barred and Great Horned Owls were heard - along with many other
birds.  As we walked along the gravel roadway, we heard our first Marsh and
Sedge Wrens of the year, and as we listened to the latter we suddenly
started hearing a "tick-tick, tick-tick-tick." from out of the sedge meadow.
"Yellow Rail!", was the excited proclamation, and the distinctive ticking
continued for several minutes, as we all listened with big smiles on our
faces.

Shortly after this, our first Yellow Warbler was heard singing, followed by
a Common Yellowthroat, and further along the road in on an oak island we
encountered several Yellow-rumps, Palms, gnatcatchers, House Wren and
Ruby-crowned Kinglet, among others.  We decided to walk back up the road in
the opposite direction to try for a Henslow's Sparrow, but unfortunately
they weren't calling, but we did find some other new birds, including Wood
Thrush, Nashville Warbler, Bobolink, Baltimore Oriole, and a Pileated
Woodpecker called and provided a fly-by.  Our group of about 20 then headed
back to the vehicles and we drove up to the north side of the wildlife area,
to a prairie restoration on South Road.  Here we found Henslow's and
Grasshopper Sparrows, as well as Eastern Meadowlarks, and just down the road
a Blue-winged Warbler provided some great looks after its "bee-buzz" song
was heard.

Our next stop was along Hwy. D, near the White River bridge, where a
Cerulean Warbler was heard almost immediately.  During our search to get
looks, other birds were added, including Yellow-throated Vireo, American
Redstart, and a very surprising Yellow-billed Cuckoo was heard and provided
great looks.  Least Flycatcher and Ovenbird were also calling from the
woods.

After this we drove to another spot on D where we had nice variety of
sparrow, including Henslow's and Grasshopper, Chipping, Field and Vesper.
From here it was back to the Rustic Road, and a spot where Pine Warblers
have sometimes nested, and we were rewarded with looks at a male and female.
As we were turning around on this dead-end road, some soaring Turkey
Vultures and Broad-winged Hawks were spotted.

Following a rest break at a Princeton gas station, we headed south to the
town of Marquette, on Lake Puckaway, where we added a number of new birds
including cormorants, pelicans, gulls, Forster's Terns, Great Egrets, and
Purple Martins.  Following a quick tour of the north side of Grand River
Marsh we drove southeast to Lake Maria to check for waterbirds.  Several new
ducks were added to the day's list, along with Red-necked Grebe, and more
terns and pelicans.

We made one final stop at a mudflat less than a mile south of here on Hwy.
73, where both yellowlegs were present, along with Pectoral Sandpiper and
Green-winged Teal.  By now it was a little after noon, and we decided to
call it a day, but it had been a great morning, with about 100 species
recorded - including a number of very good ones!
Thanks to Jeff Baughman for co-leading this trip, and to everyone who shared
in this great spring experience!

Tom Schultz
WSO Field Trips co-chair
Green Lake