[wisb] Vilas County

  • From: tiger150@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 18:00:46 +0000 (UTC)

I'm working in the Nicolet National Forest this summer, and I'm stationed in
Eagle River. I have 3-day weekends, so I have decided that I'm going to make
the most out of my time here bird-wise. Starting Monday, I have tallied 59
species (inc. a couple from Forest Co.) without even birding that much.
I did hear a neat song that sounded like a Warbling Vireo but faster, less
varied, and lacking that energetic ending. I'm assuming a warbler of sorts. Any
(back-channeled) help is appreciated. This would be bird #60.

Highlights so far include a calling Red-bellied Woodpecker on Tuesday (Sugar
Maple Lake), pair of Trumpeter Swans (likely nesting near Seven Mile Lake), and
Yellow-bellied Flycatchers (Sugar Maple Lake and near Spectacle Lake), plus 10
warbler species (nothing special nor unusual to note here.)

More notes on the woodpecker: I am familiar with both Red-bellied Woodpecker
and Common Raven call notes, and this guy, although calling infrequently, had
the less-dry and more bubbly "brrrrr" of a Red-bellied Woodpecker. I was trying
to look up how common this species is in this part of the state (i.e. only a
few miles south of the UP MI border), but "The Passenger Pigeon" declares this
species a common species throughout the state, therefore it's not listed in the
seasonal report. I have heard of them becoming increasingly common as they
expand their range northward, but I believe they are still pretty rare in this
part of the state. Back-channel thoughts are appreciated.

Good birding!

Alyssa DeRubeis
now in Eagle River, Vilas County...
...instead of Stevens Point, Portage County