[wisb] Vernon Marsh - Benson Rd.

  • From: "Mike Duchek" <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 19:25:27 -0500

I went to Vernon Marsh for a couple hours today via Benson Rd. later this
afternoon.  As you walk out from the parking lot straight toward the marsh,
there were numerous goldeneyes, a few bufflehead, some common mergansers
chasing each other around (vying for the females I guess), coots, and Canada
geese.
Going the other way (left as youâ??re coming from the lot) it was more
interesting.  A single mute swan and then in this area were many dozens of
northern shovelers.  Further back were a number of other duck species but too
far out to ID especially without a scope.  From reviewing some photos I took of
the shovelers, I see northern pintail was also present and it looks like a few
others.

But thought Iâ??d note no shorebird habitat in this area right now.  I am not
sure if they draw it down at some point, but right now itâ??s flooded.

My only sparrows were several American tree sparrows and song sparrows.  A lone
swallow flew over as well, presumably a tree swallow but wasnâ??t 100% sure.

-Mike Duchek, Waukesha, Waukesha Co.