[wisb] University Bay (Madison, Dane Co.)

  • From: tiger150@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 20:56:51 +0000 (UTC)

My boyfriend and I checked out University Bay on Lake Mendota around noon
today. Waterfowl species seen:
-Mute Swan (adult pair)

-Tundra Swan (3 juveniles and 1 adult)

-Canada Goose (numerous, did not feel comfortable enough to call any of them
Cackling Geese. There were definitely several questionable ones though that
would be better to check out with a spotting scope, which we didn't use today.)

-Mallard (<10)

-Gadwall (50-100)

-Canvasback (<10)

-Redhead (<10)

-Common Goldeneye (<10)

-Bufflehead (<5)

-Common Merganser (30-50)

-American Coot (abundant)

10 species total. There were quite a few gulls there as well, but there weren't
any interesting ones other than 4 late(?) Ring-billed Gulls.

Good birding!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Stevens Point, Portage Co.