[wisb] Turtle Valley Shorebirding

  • From: "Wayne & Susie" <wsrohde@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 23:07:14 -0500

I finally got around to checking Delavan's Turtle Valley Wildlife Area for
shorebirds today.

The only productive spot was to the east of County P, just east of the
ridge.  At first all I noticed were tons of Killdeers (in addition to
various ducks, herons, etc.).  But then I noted a lone Lesser Yellowlegs.
Next some Pectoral Sandpipers flew in.  In the distance I saw a dowitcher
... a juvenile bird; my best guess is that it's a Long-billed Dowitcher.
Just before leaving I found a single Solitary Sandpiper (how appropriate).

From what I saw, there still looks to be precious little good shorebird
habitat (i.e., very little in the way of mudflats).  Much of the open water
is now bordered by tall grass.

Wayne Rohde - hoping to get to the ponds north of Madison tomorrow; hoping
the avocet is still around!
Walworth, WI