[wisb] Tufted Titmouse, Lapland Longspur, and more

This morning I decided to get out and take advantage of this warmer and
sunnier weather. I made the first stop around 9:30 this morning at Simmons
Park in Pewaukee (just a few minutes from my house). The resident
Red-bellied Woodpecker called as I walked underneath on the path. After
walking the circle at Simmons Park, I headed over to Lapham Peak to hike the
trails. I found my first Tufted Titmouse today, and wow was I excited :) I
saw one two years ago, but it was for literally a split second, and the bird
was away. I never really counted that first one, since I would have liked to
soak in a life bird a little more.
As I was walking near the south end of the Ice Age Trail at Lapham Peak, I
remember seeing chickadees, but then hearing a series of cute intermittent
whistles. Oh man was I walking-on-air when I saw the tiny, gray-crested
titmouse flitting thoughout the oaks. The Tufted Titmouse has been a nemesis
bird of mine since I got into birdwatching back in 2003. I got some alright
pictures of the Tufted Titmouse up in the tree. Another highlight from being
at Lapham Peak today was hearing a Lapland Longspur fly overhead, with the
'cheeeew' call note. I learned that one up at Hawk Ridge :)

Here's some photos from this morning:

Tufted Titmouse
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/121076938
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/121076932

Black-capped Chickadee
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/121076926

Moss
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/121076921

Cool mushrooms
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/121076925

Location: Simmons Woods Park
Observation date: 1/13/10
Number of species: 7

Red-tailed Hawk 1
Mourning Dove 15
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Black-capped Chickadee 3
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Location: Kettle Moraine SF--Lapham Peak
Observation date: 1/13/10
Number of species: 11

Mallard 25
Mourning Dove 1