[wisb] Re: Trip to Norfolk

  • From: "Rob Whitmire" <rwhitmire@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 20:19:17 -0500

I packed up my mother the second week of August and we headed to Norfolk,
Virginia primarily to see my son graduate from the music program at the Naval
Amphibious Base there and then send him off to the Marine Corps. Band at
Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii(He is a budding birder but he has noticed that there are
"alot of strange birds out here").  We took some time for a couple of birding
outings.  Spent one day at the Norfolk Botanical Gardens.  What a place!
Primarily, the bird life was the Mockingbird.  We had lots of opportunities to
"Listen to the Mockingbird".  But the Bald Eagle making trips to and from her
nest was fun to watch and numerous Egrets out on the water.  We took another
day to go over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (an interesting experience to
recommend) and out to Kiptopeke Park.  Very nice  Park and many, many
shorebirds including Pelicans,  terns ,and gulls galore.  One could spend a
good deal of time in this area seeing the sights and the birds however, August
isn't the time to do it unless you are prepared for seriously HOT and STEAMY
weather.  There are a lot of areas for viewing wildlife and birdlife up and
down the coast there and people were most helpful in providing directions and
simply "talking the place up".  Great trip and I would recommend that area to
anyone when out east. Oh! Did I mention that it was HOT and STEAMY!!!!!  The
pounds just melt away!
Rob Whitmire
Stevens Point
Portage County