[wisb] Trip report: Cape May, NJ, Ivory Gull.

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 00:00:20 -0600

Hi all,
Seeing as it's a bit slow here, I thought I'd add a little spice to the day. :D

I just got home (and literally just) from a totally insane, 2000 mile chase
after the ghost of the arctic. Ivory Gull. 10 birders from WI, IL and MI left
in two groups from MI and IL on Fri morning and evening respectively and met at
sunrise on Saturday morning at Bree-Zee Lee marina in the fabled Cape May, NJ.
The group was comprised of me, 3 of my young birder friends (Alison Vilag from
Michigan and Ethan and Aaron Gyllenhall from Chicago) 3 other birders from
Chicago, and the rest of Alison's family.  After a week's worth of planning
(filled with both minor and major setbacks, everything had been arranged and
set (mostly at the last minute as usual for birders).  I was with the group of
6 that left from Chicago. After around 13 hours of driving (including the usual
getting lost) we arrived shortly after sunrise and joined the group that was
waiting for the gull.  Most mornings, the bird had shown up right at the crack
of dawn. An hour after sunrise, people were getting worried. The fact that it
was about 40 degrees and raining steadily didn't help.  After a short period of
stressful waiting, around 8am, I spotted the bird winging it's way in from the
east. Mass relief ensued (including a lady who told us that had driven a whole
3 hours just to see this bird. When we told her we had driven 13 hours, she
just stared at us, totally speechless). 2 hours later, after spectacular views
of the IVORY GULL and about 1000 photos were taken of it, we decided to go see
what else Cape May had to offer. Poverty Beach had a few Great Cormorants, 4
Eurasian Wigeon at the Lighthouse ponds were highly cooperative, numerous
Gannets off the point, 2 Common Eiders, Black Scoters, Long-tailed Ducks,
Brant, Stone Harbor had around 40 something Am Oystercatchers, 1 Baird's
Sandpiper, Dunlin, Sanderlings, Least Sandpiper, Ruddy Turnstone, ect. Wildwood
had a flock of Boat-tailed Grackles, Avalon had Black Scoter, Common Eider,
Brant, ect all in a small pool close to shore on the leeward side of the
breakwater.

Today, the Gyllenhalls and I drove back to Berrien Michigan to see the
continuing Arctic Tern.

In all, I added 4 lifers, 5 year birds this weekend.  The others all added at
least 5 or 6 lifers. I know at least a couple got 7 lifers.  This was my 3rd
trip to Cape May. For everyone else, this was their 1st trip.  The miserable
weather cheated us out of several species including Ibis and Saltmarsh Sparrow
but the Ivory Gull, Gannets and Eiders more than made up for it.

I'll post a more detailed trip report later this week after I've caught up on
sleep and uploaded my photos.  I'm currently going on around 18 or 20 hours of
sleep in the last 72....... ugh....... So til next time,

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)

 EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me