[wisb] Trempealeau National Wildlife Refuge

  • From: Peg Zappen <pzappen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 12:23:26 -0500

We managed to time our outing to the Refuge to be there as the fog lifted.
The air was filled with circling pelicans, cormorants and gulls.  Eagles,
great blue herons and great egrets criss-crossed among them.  There were
spider webs *everywhere*, glistening with the morning dew.  We saw pileated,
redheaded, downy and hairy woodpeckers, yellow warbler, eastern phoebes,
cedar waxwings, belted kingfisher and green herons.  Heard warbling and
red-eyed vireo. RT hummingbird in the purple loosestrife.  Species (?) of
liatris, goldenrod and sunflowers are in bloom.  Bliss.