[wisb] Tiny "Hummingbird"

  • From: "Dave&Margaret Brasser" <2shebbirders@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 20:06:51 -0500

Recently friends of ours in Kohler were thrilled to have a "baby
hummingbird" come to their flower garden.  We never discourage any bird
sightings, and asked if they would take a picture of it the next time it
showed up.  It never did.  Just now I was out in our own flower garden,
heard something like a hummingbird's whirring, and ... flitting around the
beebalm ... sure enough:  a "baby hummingbird"!  Creeping closer I studied
it carefully, noting that -- of course! -- it was a moth.  But what kind?
It sure LOOKED like a hummingbird!  Give thanks for Google!  After a short
search, I found it was a Hummingbird Clearwing!  The first one I have ever
seen!  A BEAUTY!  And it sure looks and acts like a baby hummingbird!  Other
than that, our only "bird news" today is that there is a successful Osprey
nest on the electrical substation on Cty Tk P just south of Elkhart Lake
boat landing (on the west side of the lake).
--Margaret Brasser  : )
Sheboygan
Sheboygan County