[wisb] Thrush, Towhee and Oriole

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 13:17:54 -0600

I covered the Hatley/Wausau/Marathon area this morning.  At Hatley I
tried for the female Varied Thrush.  Arriving around 8:00 I had a
half hour wait before it showed up.  I saw it briefly a few minutes
before behind the house (on the east side).  It then appeared below
the feeders by the garage, feeding for 5+ minutes.  When it flew off
it moved to the cedars behind the home, not along side the road.
There was considerable activity at their feeders besides the thrush,
that included a White-throated Sparrow, redpolls, siskins,
goldfinches, etc. (about 20 species!)
Next was the Wausau spot on Nuthatch Rd for the male Spotted Towhee.
Almost immediately I found the cardinal/junco flock working in the
bushes around the homes.  I did not see the towhee initially, so I
cruised around to the Crane Dr feeders but they only had squirrels!
Returning to the Nuthatch Dr site, almost immediately the male
Spotted Towhee appeared in a bush by the neighbor's shed with juncos
and cardinals,  plus one Blue Jay.  It shortly dropped down on the
ground below/behind the bush where I could no longer see it.  Waiting
time for it was less than 10 minutes (sorry Tom!).

Last was Marathon City for the Baltimore Oriole.  As I pulled up to
the backyard feeders, it was very obvious feeding in one of the
feeders and chasing other birds away.  It fed for several minutes,
then flew to some shrubs.  About 10 minutes later it was back at the
feeder, after which it went to their heated bird bath for a quick
drink before going back to the shrubs.

On the way home I tried for the E. Bluebirds that I had found on the
Fremont CBC, but no luck.  Stopping in Fremont to check one of the
berry trees I was surprised to find a flock of 200+ Cedar Waxwings
vigorously feeding on the crabapple berries.  And among them was one
Bohemian Waxwing!  A nice surprise to end a fun morning.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI