[wisb] Thoughts from Monterey Co. CA

  • From: "Cutright.Noel" <Noel.Cutright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 20:12:39 -0500

After attending The Wildlife Society's annual conf. for 5 days in
Monterey, I attended some events of the Monterey Bay Birding Festival
and did more birding on my own.  For those who are members of TWS -
Wisconsin Chapter, I'll be giving a presentation about the conf. at
Wisconsin's winter meeting.
1.  Fog and more fog along the coast on most days - some days it burned
off and others it didn't until quite late in afternoon.
2.  Watched flocks of juncos today in 100+ degree temperatures.
3.  It was pleasant, almost too cool, along coast and has been over 100
in Sacramento and points inland most of week.
4.  When I could no longer take the hot temperatures this afternoon and
began to fiddle with car's AC system, my trip's only Y-B Magpie flew
across the road.  Their numbers have been quite reduced due to West Nile
Virus.  This happening reminded me of times while deer hunting when I
just had to take a break off my stand to relieve myself and a deer then
took this opportunity to show up.
5.  No Mountain Quail (AGAIN) - had to settle for 2 Band-tailed Pigeons
feeding on a fruiting shrub close to the road (Chew's Ridge - China Camp
area).
6.  The leading WI birding festivals don't take a back seat to festivals
I've attended in CA, but being able to offer pelagic boat trips is nice
plus.
7.  Local food - took lots of photos of veg crops - everyone should have
a chance to visit CA's intensively farmed areas that are irrigated.  I'm
continually amazed at what irrigation means in dry country.  Strawberry
picking is going strong.
8.  If you are familiar with the Atlantic Coast or Gulf Coast, you MUST
visit the Pacific's rocky coastline some time.
9.  Interesting to hear CA birders discuss difficulty of IDing Semi-palm
Sands among the hundreds of Westerns; this, of course, is just the
opposite in WI.
10.  101 Red-necked Phalaropes - on a small pond near the Elkhorn
Sloughs - they would fly in a tight flock and land together and a few
minutes later, they were scattered over the entire breadth of the small
(maybe 5 A) pond.  Later watched flocks of phalaropes numbering 500-1000
in flight over Elkhorn Slough because of a hunting peregrine.
11.  Seafood is terrific, and cheapest gas I've found is $3.07.
AND 12.  There is nothing worse than developing a terrible cold away
from home and a loving wife.
Back to WI tomorrow.
Noel Cutright, Ozaukee County