[wisb] Surf Scoters--Rock Lake, Jefferson Co.

  • From: Aaron Stutz <agstutz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 20:45:16 -0500

Hi all,

I scoped Rock Lake on my way home from work today.  From Korth Park I
spotted 4-6 scoters 2/3 of the way across the lake--too far to separate
White-winged from Surf.  Also present was a large raft of ducks--divers
and dabblers.

Hoping for better look I scoped from Bartel's Beach and had poor but
diagnostic looks at two of the birds (Surfs)--still not sure of the
numbers as they were moving up and down in the waves.  According to
eBird this is a first county record.

Best spot to see these birds and the large raft of ducks (most of which
were severely back-lit and unidentifiable to me this evening) would be
from Bartel's in the AM.  From Main St. in Lake Mills (Hwy 89) go west
on Lake St to Ferry Dr then south on Ferry.  Bartel's Beach is on Ferry
Dr south of Lake St.  I will be out there Saturday morning with my scope
as soon as I can convince my son to go to the park with me.

Aaron Stutz
Lake Mills, WI
Jefferson Co.