[wisb] Surf Scoters, American Avocet, Portage County

  • From: janzg@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "wisbirdn: freelists.org" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 16:34:21 -0400 (EDT)

This morning Maureen Brocken, Stan Skutek and I birded Lake DuBay and
northwestern Portage County.  We found a small group of birds on DuBay
initially- 6 Horned Grebes and 4 L.Scaup.  As we walked out on the dike
however, a flock of 9 Surf Scoters swept in, landed and spent about 20
minutes before lifting off to the south.  Later, a Bald Eagle flushed
two birds from the far north end of the flowage, one was a Ring-billed
Gull, the other an American Avocet which also headed south, crossed the
dam and disappeared.
Eastern Blubird numbers were down from last week but we had a nice
sparrow count and Maureen spotted a lone Dark-eyed Junco along River
Road.  Raptors included the Bald Eagle, 3 Ravens, 2 N. Harriers, 7
Red-tailed Hawks and a Peregrine Falcon(thanks Stan).

Gerry Janz
Stevens Point, Portage County