[wisb] Re: Status of Certain Birds (No Sightings)

  • From: William mueller <iltlawas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 09:42:52 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

In Wisconsin, the following species were/are "re-introduced" - they formerly
bred in this region, but were extirpated:
Trumpeter Swan
Wild Turkey
Whooping Crane

The former two have been very successful reintroductions. The latter is ongoing.

The following species are "introduced" but not native to North America:
Mute Swan (please do not take stock in internet claims that the Mute Swan is a
native species to North America; that is about as bogus as any claim can be).
Gray Partridge
Ring-necked Pheasant
Rock Pigeon
European Starling
House Sparrow

Occasionally someone finds a Chukar - these are game farm escapes, and have no
"established" population in WI.

Bill Mueller
Milwaukee

Subject: Status of Certain Birds (No Sightings)
From: Mikko Viljamaa <mikko.viljamaa AT gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 09:04:38 -0600

Hi WiBi,
Now when I'm indisputably approaching the 200-species milestone - no smirks
please ;  ) - I became curious about the status of some birds on my list
like for example Mute Swan and Whooping Crane. I tried to research WSO's web
page but didn't find any information from there about species which are not
considered to be "wild" or are considered for example to be "introduced".
Any idea from where I can find this info?

Thanks,

Mikko, Kaukauna (Outagamie)

William P. Mueller
Milwaukee, WI