[wisb] Spring eBird Sightings

  • From: Andy P <andypaulios@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 14:31:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the wonderful eBird sightings!  (www.ebird.org/WI)  The flickr
page is really full of great pics and we encourage you to keep sending in those
pics of rare birds for documentation.

Just a quick note that the WI eBird team (Andy, Nick Anich, Tom Prestby, Ryan
Brady, Owen Boyle and other luckless souls) are all extremely busy with our
real jobs and we're doing our best to keep up with records that get flagged,
etc.  If you're wondering why your flagged record isn't making it onto the
public site there could be a couple of key reasons.....

1. We're too busy to read each flagged report (but we'll get to them
eventually).

2. There was no documentation for a rare bird or unusual sighting date.  We
encourage you to write some notes in the comments field!

3. The documentation requires some careful review by the WSO records committee.
 In this case....have patience and make sure that you turn in the full
documentation to WSO. An example of this was the Mottled Duck last year.  We
didn't approve that sighting (or disapprove) until WSO had acted on it.

We also highly encourage folks that use the View and Explore Data tool to keep
an eye out for reports that don't seem correct or that you think require
documentation.  Or give us advice for how to make the filters better.

Lots of cool stuff on the main eBird page right now....and we're really looking
forward to all of your cool bird reports over the next month.  Andrea and
Marilyn will be receiving all of the Spring eBird data for inclusion in to the
Passenger Pigeon....don't miss out on your chance to get those sightings in!

Andy Paulios
Madison, WI