[wisb] Re: "Spark bird" what's yours?

  • From: Brian Hansen <rawshooter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wsrohde@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 20:02:37 -0600

Golden-crowned Kinglet.

Even though I was an fairly avid photog I never took a photo of a bird
in my 30+ years.  October 2006 I was up at Lion's Den in Ozaukee
shooting some landscape shots along the water.  There were these tiny
birds feeding in a small bush on the bluff.  I'd couldn't remember
ever seeing birds that looked like them before even though my parents
had active bird feeders in Door County and kept a Peterson's Guide
handy in case of a new bird showing up.  I took a few shot of the
Kinglets.  I asked Paul Hunter who I knew from Lake Park what they
might be base on my descriptions and he suggested posting them on
wisbird.  I subscribed, posted the shots, introduced myself and asked
for ID help on the photos.  I had about 30 responses in a half hour -
Peter Fissel being the first which I still have.  After that I was
getting a ton of email from wisbird regarding sightings, bird news
etc...  I couldn't believe there was such an interest in birds and
that I had been surrounded by so many different species as long as I
lived in Wisconsin.  I couldn't wait for spring with all the migrant
talk especially since I walked through Lake Park every day with my
dogs and read that it was such a good migrant trap.  That spring I was
full on hooked.  I don't think I've taken more than 10 human shots out
of the last 100,000 that I've taken since.  Thanks Paul! :)

Side note:  I'm sure my parents planted the seed when I was young with
the feeders and Peterson's.  I remember how scary the Pileated WPs
looked to a 5 year old.  I was pretty sure one was going to attack me
and peck a hole through my head one day.

Brian Hansen
Milwaukee - east side