[wisb] Spark bird from Oshkosh

  • From: Paul Bruce <birdsandfish49@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 09:27:21 -0800 (PST)

      I can surely remember what started it for me.  I was about 7 or so when,
during a winter day, my
parents had a feeder in the back yard, just loaded with stuff. Sparrows,
juncos, chickadees, cardinals
etc. including a few finches that were of a different color, reddish to be the
closest.  I asked my dad what
were those.  He said, "Here, use the book".  For me too it was a Peterson
guide.  He already had the
finch section of the book open, which was kind of cheating for me, but quickly
discovered they were
Purple Finches.  As a sweet treat with the sighting, they were singing, too,
which I thought was just
fabulous. Thus began my lifelong birding opportunities.

    Paul Bruce,Oshkosh
    Winnebago Co.