[wisb] Re: Spark Bird

  • From: Brian Doverspike <briandoverspike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 08:53:07 -0600

Those of you who know Becky and me have probably heard this story before, but
since I enjoy it so I will share it again.  I also was exposed to birding in an
Ornithology class at UWSP in the early 1990's.  However I did not catch the
birding bug then and only did some casual birding mainly on family vacations.
I never thought to take a trip just to look for birds until I met Becky who was
a non-birder at the time.  We met in 2002 and went on our first camping trip in
June of 2003 to Wyalusing State Park.  I took my bins and an old Peterson along
for something to do while exploring the park.  I had no idea at the time what a
great area Wyalusing is for birders.  We eventually found the boat landing and
were standing out on the pier looking around when I spotted a yellow bird along
the shore.  Fortunately is was close and cooperative since we only had one pair
of bins between the two of us.  We finally ID'd the bird as a Prothonotary
Warbler, big surprise I know, and excitedly reported it to the naturalist which
the park used to employ then.  He informed us they were quite common along the
river which took a little wind out of our sails, but none the less two birders
were born that day!  Try birding for the weekend sharing a pair of bins.
That's a lessen in patience for someone, me, without too much.  We kept a list
that weekend and reached the mid forties I believe.  This is where we began our
personal rule that both of us need to see the same bird for it to be counted on
any of our personal lists.  A little restrictive we have been told by others
but that is what birding is for us.  Being together and remembering that little
yellow bird that started it all.  Then we discovered this community and the bug
really hit!  Happy birding!

Brian Doverspike and Becky Anderson
Pardeeville, Columbia County