[wisb] Snowy Owls-Fond du Lac

  • From: Steven Murkowski <smurkowski66@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 17:14:28 -0800 (PST)

I was at Stinky Point at dusk looking at the waterfowl and notice a dark object
on the ice due north of the open water, approximately 300 yards out.  I set up
my spotting scope and was pleasantly suprised to find a VERY dark Snowy Owl.
The only part of this owl that was white was the face.  After about ten
minutes, I turned my car around to get a better look using the spotting scope
on the window mount.  I relocated the owl and as I looked up, another owl was
flying north, from the treatment plant area.  This bird flew directly at the
1st owl.  They interacted in flight and the 2nd owl flew back south, landing
near the edge of the open water.  Once I got the scope on this bird, I noted
that it was almost as dark as the first.
Compared to the photo of the Sheboygan bird, the Fond du Lac birds were almost
black.

Steve Murkowski
Kiel, SW Manitowoc County