[wisb] Snowy Owl BV Grasslands

  • From: "Marc Spees" <mspees@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 20:47:42 -0600

We drove through the Buena Vista Grasslands to try and spot a snowy and met
a very obliging bird.  We'd ambled up from Hwy 73 and then took Tower Rd.
west to F and then north to Mill Rd.  Just after noon we turned east on Mill
Rd (a minimally maintained road).  We hadn't gone more than a quarter mile
when a snowy swooped alongside and then flew in front of us ten feet, or
less, off the roadway as we tagged slowly along behind it.  The female
perched atop a power pole a hundred yards down the road and we slowly
approached stopping for many good views until we were as close as twenty
yards from the pole.  The bird perched for a good three to four minutes as
we approached.  Twenty yards was as close as it permitted us to get and it
swooped away to a small tree a hundred and fifty yards to the northwest.  A
truly spectacular sight!  Thanks Alyssa for the notice.
Marc Spees

Oasis Township

Waushara Co.