[wisb] Snow Bunting numbers

  • From: Buboarcto@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Doorcobirding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 01:02:57 EST

Hello all!

I took a drive to Harvey Road this afternoon  - a large group of Snow
Buntings rose from the roadside.  I tried counting - by 5s, then 25s, then
100s.  At first it seemed like there might be 200- 300, then 300 or more  and
finally up to 500 as the group rose, wheeled around, contracted and  expanded,
then landed in the lower part of a manured field.

Just ahead, another group rose from the roadside, exhibited the same aerial
 acrobatics, then landed further ahead along the road and in the adjacent
field area in two separate groups.  It looked like another 500, so about
1000 in all.

I wouldn't mind if someone else tried getting a number for  comparison.
Harvey Road is parallel to and east of Highway 51.   It intersects with DM and
Kampen Road.  Thank you.

Sandy-Ursula Petersen, rural Stoughton, Dane County