[wisb] Signs of fall in Milwaukee

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 12:42:09 -0700 (PDT)

Kinda funny. While I've been out and about in this heat wave I've started
noticing what might be early signs of autumn. Maybe walking 4 or 5 miles daily
with a 100 degree heat index has fried my brain. Or maybe I'm craving some
fresh cooler air so much that I'm engaging in wishful thinking. But here goes:

* I've seen two shorebirds this week on the algae mats north of Milwaukee's
Bradford Beach: Spotted Sandpiper and Solitary Sandpiper. Since I haven't seen
any shorebirds there this summer, I'm thinking maybe these guys could be early
migrants? Speaking of the algae mats, they're still kinda small, but this hot
weather has definitely started making them stink. I'm surprised by how many
passers-by think the smell comes from raw sewage...

* I noticed that some leaves on an oak tree on the lake bluff have started
turning orange. See: http://bit.ly/nvAZMq

* Don't know if this is an early sign of fall or not, but I saw a monster carp
in Milwaukee's McKinley Marina this week. The fish had to be at least three
feet long, and was pretty wide too. It was accompanied by 24 other carp in the
18-inch to 2-foot range. This leviathan looked positively prehistoric! See:
http://bit.ly/pCUSJe

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee