[wisb] Re: Shorebird turnover at Harvey/Wangsness Rds. (Columbia)

  • From: Jesse Ellis <calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 22:10:09 -0500

Hey all-
In addition to the Buff-breasted Sandpiper on the east part of Wangsness
(near Kroncke) there were a few Baird's, a few Least, maybe one
Semipalmated, a few L. Yellowlegs and of course Killdeer.

While we watched about 300 Cranes at Kroncke, we realized we could see MANY
ducks moving on the horizon north - probably upwards of 400.

As it got dark we quickly checked Harvey and 60, and found 3 DOWITCHERS (up
from 2 when Peter checked), a Solitary Sandpiper, many Baird's, Semi's and
Leasts, and LOTS of both species of Yellowlegs. Also about 12 Shovelors on
the west side. More light would have been nice...

Jesse Ellis
Madison, WI

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 10:02 PM, Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> I checked Harvey Rd. on my way up to Oshkosh late this morning, and again
> this evening on my way back to Madison. Interesting how much things can
> change in the course of a day.  The pond north of Hwy 60 on the east side
> had most of the usual suspects this morning, including a couple of Stilt
> Sandpipers (no phalaropes, though.)  I also hadn't realized just how many
> shorebirds are on the WEST side, in the flooded corn, until a female No.
> Harrier flushed them.  So that might be worth checking if you're there in
> the morning, looking away from the sun.
>
> This evening, Harvey and 60 had many more Semi-palm SPs, no Stilt SPs, but
> now two SB Dowitchers.  Many of the Leasts and Lesser YLs took off and
> headed south while I was there.  I went down to Harvey and Wangsness - the
> pond east of Harvey and south of DM had a dozen Great Egrets, hundreds of
> Sandhill Cranes, and some shorebirds, including several Greater YLs.  I
> headed east on Wangsness, and found Jesse Ellis and Anya scoping the grassy
> area, which appeared devoid of birds.  But Jesse gave a "thumbs up," so I
> assumed they must have found a Buffie, which they had.  It was way back at
> the northeast edge in the grass, and was definitely hard to see at times.
>  Shorebirds were also flying over, heading south, at that location.  (The
> Doppler is lit up tonight, despite the south winds.)
>
> Peter Fissel
> Madison, Dane Co.
> //www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.

Jesse Ellis