[wisb] Sheboygan, etc

I worked along Lake Michigan today.  While the wind was not as strong
as yesterday, there was still enough to make it really cold when
walking.  Milwaukee had good numbers of waterfowl, but not too much
variety.  Best were Redheads south of South Shore Park, between the
breakwalls.  Also present were Hooded Mergansers.  The only gulls I
could find anywhere along the Milwaukee lake shore, and not many of
them, were Herrings.  Two female Black Scoters were seen on the north
end of South Shore Park.  A male Canvasback was among the other
standard diving ducks at Petroleum Pier.  Large numbers of ducks were
off Bradford Beach, but nothing unusual.
Port Washington harbor had 25 Ruddy Ducks, 3 Hooded Mergansers and
standard diving ducks.  Only a few gulls were present that included a
small number of Ring-billeds.

Harrington Beach SP was quiet, as Steve noted yesterday.

However Sheboygan produced the three hoped for species.  Off Blue
Harbor the White-winged Scoter was seen almost immediately.  Much to
my surprise (usually is a jinx bird for me in WI) the male Barrow's
Goldeneye was found shortly thereafter (less than 5 minutes after I
had arrived).  I watched it for over 15 minutes, along with the
scoter.  Surprisingly only a few gulls were in the harbor and up at
North Point.  At the North Pt parking lot, the female Harlequin Duck
was moving south from the point, very close to shore.

The goldeneye and scoter were moving in and out from the breakwall
that has a tree at its south end, as are the other diving ducks.
When these two are close to the wall, it is impossible to see them
from Blue Harbor, and also from the Coast Guard Station.  While I was
there they were frequently moving back and forth, but in view for
nice periods of time.

Good luck.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI