[wisb] Savannah Sparrow at Collins Marsh

  • From: <rcd2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdnet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 12:49:48 -0500

Both this morning and yesterday morning (March 5 and 6), I was able to find a
Savannah Sparrow along the roadside near Collins Marsh, Manitowoc County.  If
accepted by the WSO RC, this would be a record early date for the Savannah.
The current record is March 6 (set in 2003 in Ozaukee County by Jim Frank),
followed by March 11, 1977 in Waukesha County (John Bielefeldt).

There are plenty of Canada Geese at Collins (plus a few Sandhills) but I have
not been able to re-locate the Ross's Goose.  This morning I had my first Song
Sparrow of the season.  Each day brings new ducks.  New ducks today were Am.
Black Duck, Gadwall, and Northern Pintail.

    -- Bob Domagalski, St. Nazianz