[wisb] Rufous Hummer put on a show this a.m.

Pat Ready, Peter Gorman, Jim Otto and I went down to the Scheunemann's
residence east of Milton this morning, where the very gracious hosts welcomed
us inside to see the Rufous Hummingbird.  They had just seen it ten minutes
before we got there, and it showed up nearly immediately after we got inside.
What a gorgeous bird!  Pat took lots of photos, and we had a very nice visit
with Emily and Larry.  More birders were arriving as we were leaving, and the
phone was ringing steadily with inquiries.  I think they'll have lots of
company today.  We also saw a DE Junco and WC Sparrow in their yard.

We stopped briefly at Paradise Springs and Scuppernong Prairie, but things were
pretty quiet - only bird of note was a Great Blue Heron at the Springs.  There
was a big group of mountain bikers in the Emma Carlin Trail lot, so we went
further south to the Nordic Trail.  We hiked the "orange" loop and were
somewhat surprised how few birds were around.  We hit a few pockets of
White-throats, and had a Yellow-rump and a couple of female Purple Finches near
the kettle lake.  There was a little flock of both Kinglets and a Brown Creeper
on the way back to the parking lot.  There were snow showers nearly the whole
time on the trail - aahhh!

Peter Fissel
Madison, WI
(where the skies are blue...for now...)