[wisb] Rock Island

  • From: "Tom Schaefer" <schaefertrees@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 23:43:35 -0500

Not a whole lot of identifiable species, but a WHOLE lot of birds.  It all
started with a radar-aided night sail from Ellison Bay to Washington Harbor
on the north side of Washington Island.  Very calm and quiet and I soon
began hearing chip notes overhead.  Then the birds became visible within the
halo created by the mast running light.  Eerily they would flit by and
become illuminated, about  20' over the water.  This went on until setting
anchor Friday night at 11.  Next morning a short sail to Rock Island.  First
bird seen was a merlin diving on cedar waxwings to no avail.  Did some
hiking and came up with nothing special to note.  That evening after dinner
began hearing chip notes overhead yet again.  When the campfire died and the
group went to sleep I took a seat at the end of the pier and just listened.
What I heard was nothing short of incredible!  All sounds were emanating
from a really low altitude and all birds were flying SW.  I can safely say
that birds identified included black-throated blues, blackpolls, and both
Swainson's and gray-cheeked thrushes- all with the help of birdjam back in
the boat.  Figured I had to get up early next a.m. to catch incoming birds
so up at 6 Sunday and the sounds were still everywhere- but now I could SEE
the birds.  Just raised my glasses and focused on the sky.  Groups of
warblers- 2s and 3s, were everywhere above me.  That is until I caught sight
of a sharpie.   He posted himself and waited for the birds to run the
gauntlet.  Observed numerous sorties but never a kill.  This was just too
much!   I found myself fascinatingly curious where these birds came from and
to think how much farther they needed to go. Really didn't want to leave
knowing it would all begin anew that evening.

Aside from multiple migrating merlins, I did manage to glimpse a jaeger
species.  Using only bins at some distance, the harassing behavior and brown
coloration along with wing shape made me confident of the sighting.  Getting
the jump on Jaegerfest I guess!  Bald eagles, white-throated sparrows,
loons, red-headed and pileated woodies,  palm and y-rumps rounded out the
mostly "normal" species seen this time of year.

What I would have given for a Doppler display for these 2 nights, AND a
night sounds CD that I hope is available now or in the not too distant
future.

Tom Schaefer
Hartford
Washington County