[wisb] Results of WSO Southern Kettle Moraine Field Trip

  • From: Andrea Szymczak <harrierhawk1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 13:51:51 -0500

A fantastic group of approx. 40 people met at the Scuppernong Ski Trails at
6 a.m. and proceeded to spend time at several key sites within the State
Forest until disbanding around 11:30 a.m.  We only had one "big miss", but
the Forest worked its magic and produced a number of "bonus" birds that
made up for it!  Here's where we went & what we saw:
Scuppernong Ski Trails & Mackie Picnic Area -
Unfortunately, our only real disappointment of the day occurred here when
we did not hear or see the Prairie Warbler.  However, we were thrilled to
listen to and watch 3-4 GOLDEN-CR KINGLETS within a spruce stand.  In that
same area, a pair of BROAD-WINGED HAWKS was present.  Heard ACADIAN
FLYCATCHERS (& saw), SCARLET TANAGER, RED-BR NUTHATCH, PILEATED WOODPECKER
& WOOD THRUSH.  7 warbler species were heard and included Mourning, Hooded,
Pine, Black-thr Green, Chestnut-sided, Blue-winged, & Ovenbird.   Nearly
every HOODED WARBLER was singing an "alternate" song type!
Scuppernong Prairie & River habitat -
While the YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT was not singing, our patient group was still
able to locate him and enjoy a lengthy period of visual observation.
RED-HEADED WOODPECKERS were seen and/or heard in two locations.  A
cooperative HENSLOW'S SPARROW provided scope views to many.  Also seen or
heard were NORTHERN HARRIER (male), BROWN THRASHER, BOBOLINKS, GREAT EGRET,
GREEN HERONS, SEDGE WREN, & CHIMNEY SWIFT, along with ALDER and WILLOW
FLYCATCHERS.
State Forest Headquarters (i.e. official bathroom pit stop!) -
Saw RUBY-THR HUMMINGBIRD and E BLUEBIRD (he was literally a stone's throw
away) in the vicinity of the feeders and heard a LEAST FLYCATCHER near the
railroad tracks.
Carlin Trail (this is a road, not the Emma Carlin Trails) -
Despite being after 10 a.m., we saw and heard 2 CERULEAN WARBLERS,
YELLOW-THR VIREO, and were pleasantly surprised by a RED-SHOULDERED HAWK
(very uncommon in S Kettle) which flew overhead for a couple minutes along
with 2 Red-tailed Hawks.  Other species found there were GR-CRESTED
FLYCATCHER, N ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOWS, ACADIAN FLYCATCHER, & HOODED WARBLER.
Young Road (just east of Hwy H) -
Arrived just in time for several cars to see a LARK SPARROW in the middle
of the road!  The bird then perched several more times before flying nearby
but out of view.  At this point the group broke up, with some folks heading
back to our meeting location and others continuing to check along Young
Road for Orchard Orioles, etc.
Thank you to everyone who participated ~ we truly had a great morning :-)
Andrea Szymczak
Waukesha, WI