[wisb] Report from Wisconsin Point - Superior

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "WISBIRDN" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 14:21:48 -0500

I just received a phone call from Daryl Tessen, with a preliminary report
from Wisconsin Point -- and he asked me to pass it along.  Six birders are
present so far today.  He said that the jaegers have been active this
morning, with 4 Parasitics putting on a good show (with close passes,
chases, etc.).  These have included one light-morph adult, one light-morph
juvenile, and two darker juvs.  Daryl also had a couple of other jaegers
that he felt were Pomarine and Long-tailed, but the looks were apparently
not great, and he was the only one to see them.

Also spotted was a single Sabine's Gull (pretty distant, but identifiable),
but there have been no Bonaparte's, and only a couple of Common Terns.
Single Red-throated and Common Loons have been seen, as well as Horned
Grebe, and also a few ducks.  He said that there is no shorebird habitat
present this year on the bay side of the Point, but a few species have been
seen on the beach.  Daryl also viewed about 5 Red-necked Phalaropes from
Gull Bluff (yesterday afternoon, I believe).

The passerines have been very skimpy today, with only a single sparrow and a
few warblers seen so far, so hopefully they will pick up over the next
couple of days.

I'm heading up tomorrow, so I'll hope to see many of you on the Point!

Tom Schultz
WSO Field Trips co-chair
Green Lake
Green Lake Co.