[wisb] Redpolls, but no Snowy at Horicon this morning

  • From: "Anne Moretti" <amoretti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 15:06:38 -0600

A friend, Ellen, and I tried for a Snowy Owl on Dike Rd, but despite much
patience and several tries, we failed to find one this morning. We were
there from 9:00 - 12:30 with an hour break in between. A photographer showed
us images taken yesterday of one that stayed close by the nearby muskrat
houses for about 4 hours. He was there all morning today and still hadn't
seen one when we tried a second time. We did have a N. harrier, plus 3 Bald
Eagles, the latter off to the NW near the end of the road.

On our second pass, we had a good look at a light phased Rough-legged hawk.
We also noticed a flock of small birds amongst the weeds on the side of the
road. They turned out to be Redpolls! So at least we had a couple of good
sightings to make up for not seeing a Snowy Owl.

A quick stop at the Visitor Center near Horicon off of State Hwy 28 yielded
a few more Redpolls. There were in the lone spruce tree NE of the entrance.
The spruce appeared to have no cones, but the birds flew off into the nearby
field where they can no doubt find weed seeds.

Looking forward to the Lakefront Field Trip tomorrow.

Anne Moretti

Dousman

Waukesha Co.