[wisb] Rainbow Flowage - Oneida County

  • From: Nancy Richmond <polarpastor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 08:13:35 -0500

Hi WisBirders -
My husband and I went seeking shorebirds at the Rainbow Flowage in Oneida
County last Monday. The flowage has never really filled up in the last
couple years because of the drought here in the Northwoods. As a result,
there hasn't been a corresponding drawdown in late summer/early fall.
There's lots of once inundated land, but it was probably watercovered last
year or the year before at the most recent. So It looks like decent habitat,
but there's not the abundance of food made accessible by a drawdown.

In the 4 hours we spent searching we found very few shorebirds - 2
Semi-palmated Plovers, 1 Semi-Palmated Sandpiper. 2 Greater, 1 Lesser
Yellowlegs. 1 Spotted Sandpiper. Only 1 Killdeer. Plenty of Great Blue
Herons, Dozens of Bald Eagles of various ages. Gazillion Ring-billed Gulls
and Crows.

This is the second time I've checked the Rainbow recently with the same lack
of shorebirds. We need a good snowy winter and regular rains the rest of the
year!

Nancy Richmond
Polar - Langlade Co and
Rhinelander - Oneida Co.