[wisb] Re: RFI: Vernon County Chuck-will's-widow

  • From: "Dan Jackson" <DanJackson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hopmoon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 09:41:22 -0500

Jym:

Peter was correct.  The Chuck-Will's-Widow on Dodson Hollow Rd in Vernon
County has not been heard since April 30, 2008.  It was heard for the
first and last time in 2008 on that date by Kim Randall (one of the
local landowners).  Kim, the other local landowners, and I have all been
listening for them, but we have not heard one in that area since that
night.

I will continue to check that location periodically and am also checking
other valleys in the area.  If I find another, I will post it to
WisBirdNet.  I have a friend that lives about 5 miles from that spot and
he said that he has had them on his land on at least 1 occasion over the
years.  He turkey hunts in the south and is very familiar with their
call.  Unfortunately, he didn't know how unusual they are in Wisconsin
and didn't call me when he did hear one.  That was at least a couple of
years before I found the birds on Dodson Hollow.

I have heard of a possible location in La Crosse County that might have
them.  A person who I work with thinks he may have heard one last year
in a remote area along the Black River that he accesses by boat.  I will
be investigating that report over the next couple of weeks.  It is not
an area that is easily accessed otherwise I would head out there right
away.  He did say that the area also has lots of Whip-Poor-Wills and
that is a good sign since they like the same habitat.

Good Birding,

Dan Jackson