[wisb] RFI: Belted Kingfisher plumages

  • From: Karen Etter Hale <chimneyswift1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 20:54:33 -0600

This morning on my walk, a Belted Kingfisher flew past and landed in a
tree at the Mill Pond here in Lake Mills. When I looked to see if it was
a male or female, I immediately noticed rufous coloring, so thought it
was a female. But then I noticed that while the sides were rufous, the
rufous breast band (some field guides refer to it as a belly band) did
not meet in the middle, making me think it could be an immature female.

When I got home, I searched every reference I could find, without much
luck. Sibley shows the juvenile (May-Sep) with an incomplete band, but
doesn't say whether it's a male or female. Cornell's All About Birds
website says "Immature like adult, but immature male has incomplete
rufous chest band." Can this be right? Would a young male start out with
rufous, then lose it upon molting into adult plumage? And what plumage
does the immature female have?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Karen
--