[wisb] Prelim results, Sauk City Count (longish list)

Here are preliminary results for the Sauk City count, held today (Sunday 26th),
with some feeder reports not yet received and the official number-crunching to
come:  58 species on count day, with at least 3 "count week" birds (those being
Killdeer, Wilson's snipe, and Carolina wren).  This is down a bit from most
years.  Note, these are NOT the final tallies.

UP:  Bald eagles!  Lots of great, close-range looks!
DOWN:  Wild turkeys; Eastern bluebirds; and waterfowl diversity in general.

Species seen:
Canada goose
American black duck
Mallard
Redhead
Common goldeneye
Hooded and Common mergansers
Ring-necked pheasant
Wild turkey
Great blue heron
Bald eagle
Sharp-shinned, Cooper's, red-tailed, and rough-legged hawks
American kestrel
Ring-billed, Herring, and Thayer's gulls
Rock dove
Mourning dove
Eastern screech, great horned, and barred owls
Belted kingfisher
Red-headed, red-bellied, downy, hairy, and pileated woodpeckers
Yellow-bellied sapsucker
Northern flicker
Northern shrike
Blue jay
American crow
Horned lark
Black-capped chickadee
Tufted titmouse
Red- and white-breasted nuthatches
Golden-crowned kinglet
Eastern bluebird
American robin
European starling
Cedar waxwing
American tree, swamp, house, and white-throated sparrows
Dark-eyed junco
Lapland longspur
Snow bunting
Northern cardinal
Red-winged blackbird (I think there was only one of these)
Purple and house finches
Pine siskin
American goldfinch

My group counts Area 7, which goes along the river and includes Ferry Bluff
(closed to the public Nov. 15-April 1 due to nesting eagles; we have permission
to go up on count day).

It has been my great privilege to witness early, pastel-colored daylight over
Ferry Bluff once each winter for over 10 years now. It's a breathtakingly
beautiful sight and well worth the 5 AM alarm time back in Madison!

Ground fog had frozen as hoarfrost on the lower-growing branches, stems, and
seedheads along many of the country roads.  As the sun moved up it set these
crystals to sparkling.  Just gorgeous.

Happy birding,
Kathy Miner, Madison, Dane County