[wisb] Re: Prairie du Sac gulls

Thanks to Tom for posting on the gulls at the Prairie du Sac dam.  To follow
up on the dark-mantled gull, it appears most similar to an adult Lesser
Black-backed Gull, though I'm not sure what the precedent is for pinkish
legs in that species at that age.  The bird did not seem to have the typical
noticeably bright pink legs or bulk of the Slaty-backed Gulls that have
shown up in the state (e.g. Ryan Brady's bird from Ashland).  Subsequent
views of the primary pattern looked better for LBBG than SLBG with regard to
extent of black on the dorsal side, although I felt there were small white
subterminal marks as well.  If anyone is birding the area It would be great
to get a photograph of this bird that may better resolve its identification.
In any case the end of Dam Road off of STH 78 should be a good place for
gull watching as freeze-up continues.

Paul Schilke
Madison