[wisb] Possible No. Mockingbird - Collins Marsh (Manitowoc Co.)

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 10:30:27 -0500

I forgot to post this last night (still recovering from the convention -
is it Monday?)  Our group was coming up the west side of Collins Marsh
in western Manitowoc County yesterday afternoon when a possible Northern
Mockingbird flew across County W, perhaps a mile and a half north of JJ.
  Nolan Pope and I were in the front seat and saw a medium-sized bird
with a long tail and noticeable white wing patches fly east, headed for
a clump of trees.  By the time I found a place I could turn around, we
weren't quite sure which clump it was headed for, and 15 minutes of
searching didn't turn up any suspects.  Given how many sightings of this
species there seem to be this spring in Wisconsin, I wouldn't be at all
surprised if it was one (I ruled out a Loggerhead Shrike based on the
flight style - seemed rather fluttery.)

Peter Fissel
Madison WI